Eco-business / Social Venture

December 9, 2012


Dentsu Survey: Over 40% of Japanese Active in Social Responsibility

Keywords: Eco-business / Social Venture NGO / Citizen 

Dentsu Inc., a major Japanese advertising and public relations company, released on August 8, 2012, the results of a survey on awareness and actions for social responsibility among the Japanese general public. The survey categorized respondents into three categories: socially responsible consumption,, social commitment (voluntary engagement in efforts to advance the common good), and socially responsible daily behavior. The results show that 14.2 percent fall into all three categories, and an additional 28 percent in two of the three categories: Combined, 42.2 percent of the public consider themselves to have taken socially responsible action in some form, indicating a growing interest in social responsibility.

The survey was conducted in March 2012 and targeted 600 people aged 20 to 60 living in Tokyo or a neighboring prefecture. Having recognized a rise in social awareness since the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, the company sought to predict future trends in socially responsible consumption.

The survey used the following three categories to describe respondents: those who have bought or are considering buying products that promote social justice (e.g. fair trade products, products made by people with disabilities) or environmentally-friendly or energy-efficient items are "highly involved in socially responsible consumption"; those who regularly donate to specific organizations or participate in volunteer activities or community services are "highly involved in social commitment"; and those who are engaged in at least four categories of behavior that include environmentally-conscious decision-making, energy conservation, and community service are "highly involved in socially responsible daily behavior."